Fried rice is a delicious, but usually calorie and sodium heavy dish. This version is packed with filling protein and vitamin-rich veggies. Ground white meat turkey, brown rice, and veggies create a tasty and simple meal that also makes a great leftover lunch. I added some fresh ginger for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and some chili oil for spice. This is Craig’s favorite dinner, so I always try to make extra for leftovers.
Vegetarians can skip the turkey and substitute your favorite meat substitute or some slivered almonds.
1lb white meat ground turkey breast
1 cup brown rice, uncooked
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 large carrots, sliced or shaved with veggie peeler
1 cups snow peas, trimmed, washed and sliced
1 cup red cabbage, sliced or shredded
2 tbsp sliced or grated fresh ginger
1 tsp chili oil
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (I live Organicville Sesame Teriyaki)
Step by Step Instructions:
1. Cook rice according to package instructions
2. While rice is cooking, sautee garlic, ginger and onion in olive oil, about 3-4 minutes
3. Add turkey and break up into small chunks
4. Add carrots and continue to sautee, veggies should be getting soft
5. Add chili oil, snow peas and cabbage, sautee for 5 minutes
6. Add cooked rice and teriyaki sauce, mix thoroughly
7. Cook covered for 5-10 minutes.