Fresh snap peas are a delicious summer treat. This recipe is a simple way to dress up this tasty summer veggie. My friend Liz very generously gave me some fresh organic produce from Sienna Farms in Sudbury, Massachusetts, including some young garlic. Young garlic is a special treat. Available only for a few weeks each year, it is sweeter and has a more complex taste than traditional garlic. It has a slight purplish color and a you can actually eat the whole stalk. Regular fresh garlic will work fine in this recipe as well. Check out Sienna Farms at the Copley Farmer’s Market on Tuesdays and Fridays or on the web at www.sienafarms.com.
Read more for the full recipe.
1lb fresh snap peas, washed
1/8 lb bacon, chopped into 1/2″ pieces
2 tbsp fresh garlic, minced
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
Step by Step Instructions:
1. Saute garlic in olive oil on medium heat, 2-3 minutes
2. Add chopped bacon and saute another 3-4 minutes, until crisp
3. Add snap peas and water, reduce heat to med-low and cover
4. Steam peas for 5-6 minutes, until bright green and cooked through
5. Toss with mint and black pepper