I have been on a huge homemade pizza kick lately. Back when we lived in Fenway, we had three different pizza places within walking distance, so we enjoyed our fair share of pizza. Here in Somerville, we haven’t yet found our go to pizza place yet. (email me if you have suggestions!) So, I’ve started to really enjoy making my own and experimenting with all kinds of different toppings. I have always wanted to attempt breakfast pizza, I’ve seen it done in magazines and always thought it would be so much fun to have bacon and eggs on pizza.
I started with some whole wheat pizza dough that I rolled out into super thin, mini pizzas. To keep things light, I slathered on some tasty ricotta and topped it with fresh herbs. Then I got creative. I used bacon as well as a bunch of other toppings to make each pizza unique. You could add whatever you like to make your favorite breakfast combo. I was thinking next time I’d do some mushrooms and I was even thinking about adding salsa as a topping. I will keep you posted as my experiments continue.
You obviously don’t have to eat these pizzas for breakfast. We ate them for dinner while watching some playoff hockey (go Bruins!). I am excited to host a brunch and make these as individual pizzas for my guests.
8oz whole wheat pizza dough
whole wheat flour (for rolling)
1 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
8oz thick cut bacon (approx 8 slices)
4 large brown eggs
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, washed and chopped
1 tbsp fresh parsley, washed and chopped
1 tbsp fresh basil, washed and chopped
Step by Step Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees
2. Divide dough into 4 equal lumps
3. Roll out each piece of dough to approxmiately 6-8″ in diameter
4. Place on a pizza stone or pan
5. In a frying pan, cook bacon on medium heat, 1 minute on each side, remove and drain on paper towels
6. Spread 1/4 cup ricotta on each pizza
7. Sprinkle herbs over the ricotta and season with black pepper
8. Lay two strips of bacon diagonally across each pizza
9. Top with optional toppings
10. Bake for 5-7 minutes, until crust begins to crisp
11. Remove pizzas from oven, crack one fresh egg in the middle of each pizza
12. Return to oven and bake for another 4-5 minutes, until egg has begun to set
13. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes then slice and serve!