For my Lamb Cookout last weekend I wanted to make a healthy and tasty side dish that could be thrown on the grill. I settled on tasty sweet potato wedges that would compliment the complex flavors of the lamb and provide a high fiber side dish.
This recipe is extremely simple. After cutting the sweet potatoes into uniform sized wedges, I par boiled them quickly to start to cook them and then finished them off on the grill. Brush them with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper and you can throw them right on. I added some lime juice and a garnish of fresh cilantro to incorporate the Thai flavors, but lemon, garlic and parsley would be tasty as well.
- 1.5lbs sweet potatoes, washed (approx 2 medium sized)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 limes, 1 juiced, 1 cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, washed
- salt and pepper
- Cut potatoes into long wedges, approximately 1-2" wide
- In a large stockpot, add potato wedges and 1 quart of water, bring to a boil and boil potatoes for 4-5 minutes.
- Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill to med-high heat
- Brush sweet potatoes with olive oil and lime juice and season with salt and pepper
- Grill for 7-8 minutes on each side, until slightly charred and cooked through. Cooking time will vary depending on the size of the wedges.
- Serve warm with chopped cilantro and lime wedges