Greetings! First thing, I am so excited to be Foodista’s Food Blog of the Day. They are highlighting my Coconut Chicken Fingers and I am so honored to be chosen. Foodista is an incredible space for foodies and I am thrilled. Head on over there and check out some of the amazing recipes, news and food features, like this guide to making lobster rolls.
I am on a lentil binge these last few weeks. After the yummy lentil cakes last week I decided I need more lentils in my life! Craig and I hit the farmer’s market on Saturday, where I picked up some tasty eggplant, zucchini, carrots and cauliflower. These beautiful summer veggies inspired me to create a tasty lentil salad that would be healthy and hearty.
My original plan was to grill the veggies and then chop them up and toss them in a salad with some lentils. Unfortunately, the weather did not agree, so I threw them in the oven instead. I’m glad I did, because instead of smoky barbecue flavor, these veggies got incredibly sweet and crisp. For flavor, I tossed them with a light splash of balsamic.
I used french lentils (also called puy). I chose these because they are smaller and retain their shape better while cooking. To finish off the salad, I added some yummy fresh herbs and tomatoes from my garden! I am SO EXCITED to start harvesting and eating the crops we’ve been working so hard on for the past few months. I took a bunch of garden picks and will update you all later this week.
Here’s what I picked:
Full recipe after the jump
French or Puy lentils
low sodium veggie broth
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1″ cubes
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1″ cubes
1 medium bulb of fennel, halved and cut into 1″ chunks (reserve fronds)
4 large carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise and cut into 1″ chunks
1 head of cauliflower, washed and cut into florets
2 bell peppers, washed, seeded and cut into 1″ chunks
salt and pepper
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
handful of cherry tomatoes
optional: goat cheese
1. Cook lentils in veggie broth according to package directions, cool and set aside
2. Preheat oven to 425 (veggies can also be grilled)
3. Toss veggies with olive oil, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper
4. Roast veggies 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently. When finished, they should be slighly browned
5. Toss veggies with lentils
6. Mix together 1 tbsp balsamic with dijon and honey
7. Toss salad with dressing and allow to cool
8. Serve cooled salad with chopped cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and parsley
9. Optional: garnish with 1/2 oz crumbled goat cheese