I have an overabundance of eggplants in my garden right now. We ate the first one last week (on an eggplant and pepperoni pizza – which is now my favorite combination – look for this recipe in the coming weeks). And we are probably about a week away from having another 4-5. So I’ve been racking my brain for lots of tasty and simple eggplant recipes. Unfortunately, eggplant can be tricky in the summer because it needs to be cooked. We’re in the middle of a heatwave right now so I’m hesitant to turn on my stove, let alone my oven.
The solution? Grilling! Grilled eggplant is super delicious and its a simple and healthy way to prepare and highlight its intense flavors. So I threw some eggplant slices on the grill and combined them with cherry tomatoes and basil from my garden. I used freash baguette courtesy of Iggy’s and some part skim ricotta. The result was a flavorful, filling and healthy appetizer.
- 1 medium eggplant, washed and cut into ½" thick slices
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ a large French baguette, cut into 16 1-1.5" thick slices
- 16 cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- ¼ cup fresh basil, washed and chopped
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinagrette
- ½ cup part skim ricotta
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium heat
- Brush eggplant slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste
- Grill eggplant slices on medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side
- Remove from heat
- Grill bread slices on medium heat for 30 seconds on each side - be very careful, bread burns easily!
- Allow eggplant to cool slightly and then roughly chop into chunks
- In a small bowl, combine eggplant, tomatoes, basil and baslamic. Season with salt and pepper to taste
- To assemble bruschetta: Top each piece of baguette with a generous teaspoon of ricotta and then a generous tablespoon of eggplant/tomato mixture.
- Serve warm or cool