Hey all! I recently became aware of an issue with my RSS feed when I migrated from Blogger to WordPress. Turns out, if you previously subscribed, you won’t be getting my updates. In order to continue hearing from me, just unsubscribe and then resubscribe to my feed. I apologize for the inconvienence. I wish I could understand half this tech stuff, but I really have no clue what I’m talking about.
And now onto the recipe…
Called “rice and peas” in Jamaica, this creamy, comforting dish is the perfect compliment to the fiery jerk chicken with scotch bonnet sauce I made this weekend.
In addition to being super simple, it’s also vegan. The creamy texture is derived from light coconut milk, which also adds a slightly sweet flavor. Adding a chili pepper, in this case a habanero, whole to the broth which adds intensity to the dish without making it too spicy.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2" of fresh ginger, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1.25 cups short grain brown rice
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup water
- 1 habanero or scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 can (15oz) red kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- Saute onion, garlic, and ginger in olive oil on medium heat until softened, 4-5 minutes
- Add rice, coconut milk, broth, water and habanero
- Cover and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to med-low and simmer, covered for 15 minutes
- Add beans and thyme, cover and continue to simmer 15-20 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper and discard habanero