Before I tell you all about this tasty sandwich – let’s get to the giveaway.
Thank you to everyone who participated in my Stubb’s BBQ Giveaway! I am thrilled to be able to gift one of you with this fabulous package of sweet gifts from Stubbs.
And the winner is …..
The lovely Liz, from That Skinny Chick Can Bake!
Congrats Liz! And thanks again to everyone who participated. I had a blast experimenting with these tasty products and I’m thrilled I got to share them with you all. I look forward to seeing some of Liz’s creations!
And now onto today’s recipe:
The great garden experiment yielded some interesting results. Tomatoes, chilies and eggplant grew wonderfully in our tiny urban garden. Everything else … not so much. Any cruciferous veggie (kale, broccoli, cauliflower) died after a few weeks of intense sunlight. Recent recipes have featured my bumper crop of cherry tomatoes and 10 different varieties of chilies. Now I’m inundated with tasty eggplants. We planted Japanese and Bianca and they all matured at the same time!
Since eggplant gets bitter if you leave it lying around for too long. I decided to roast up some slices to throw in salads for the week. I brushed slices with balsamic vinegar and honey and roasted in the oven. This turned out so deliciously I decided to build an entire sandwich around it!
Thankfully, I had just returned from the farmer’s market with fresh whole wheat sourdough bread, crunchy arugula and some tasty homemade hummus. Adding some hard boiled eggs for protein, a delicious, vegetarian sandwich was born! I recreated this to take to work – I packed the hummus separately so the bread wouldn’t get mushy. Turns out this filling sandwich has only 367 calories – making it perfect for a tasty lunch.
- 1 large eggplant, washed and sliced into ½” wide slices
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 slices of whole grain bread or pitas or sandwich thin
- 8 hardboiled eggs, shells removed and sliced
- 1 cup of fresh arugula, washed and dried
- ¼ cup hummus (I used garlic)
- Preheat oven to 425
- Toss eggplant slices with balsamic and honey
- Roast on a baking tray for 25 – 30 minutes, until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Remove from oven
- Assemble each sandwich: Place 2-4 eggplant slices, slices of 2 hardboiled eggs, ¼ cup of arugula and 1 tbsp of hummus on bread