Hello! My posting has been reduced for the past few weeks owing to a big deadline at work. Hopefully October will be a little more calm and I will have lots of time for posting and cooking! As a food blogger, I mourn the loss of our wonderful FoodBuzz community every day. I got my start of FoodBuzz and connected with wonderful friends and mentors. I wanted to give a shout out to to Chef Dennis who has taken a leadership role in helping to rebuild our food blogging community. Click here to read his wonderful post about Google+ and how we all should be using it. I’m going to be putting a lot more effort into Google+ in the coming weeks.
Although fall has arrived in all its glory, I am still reaping the benefits of our garden. Tomatoes, pepper, eggplant and basil are all flourishing. Recently my ancho chili plants started producing and I am looking at well over a dozen anchos right now. Any suggestions for how to use them? I’ve dried a few, but would love to experiment with fresh.
Anyway, I decided to whip up a quick vegetarian stir fry using some fresh eggplant and basil from my garden. Being able to go outside and pick dinner ingredients is such a wonderful feeling. I am going to be so depressed when we have to take all the plants out in a few weeks.
Along with the eggplant and basil I added a bunch of green beans I grabbed at the farmer’s market. I wanted to go with simple flavors so I made a quick soy based sauce and added some Thai chillies from the garden for a very mild heat. I was planning to serve this over brown rice but I was out so I used whole grain udon noodles instead. The meaty eggplant soaked up the sauce and worked wonderfully with the filling noodles. I ate this both hot and cold and was so thrilled with the result.
- 2 oz noodles (soba, udon and vermicelli would all work)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive or canola oil
- 2 medium eggplants, washed and sliced into strips
- 1lb green beans, washed and trimmed
- 2 Thai chilies, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, washed and sliced into ribbons
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- optional: 2 tbsp crushed unsalted peanuts
- Bring one quart of water to a boil and blanch green beans for 3-4 minutes
- Remove beans from boiling water, rinse with cold water and set aside
- Reboil water and cook noodles according to package directions
- In a wok or large frying pan, saute onion and garlic on medium heat for 3-4 min
- Add eggplant and chilies, stir fry on med heat 4-5 minutes
- Whisk together soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar
- Add green beans and sauce and reduce heat to low, stirring every few minutes
- Add cooked noodles and toss thoroughly until everything is coated
- Serve with basil ribbons and optional crushed peanuts