Did you know you can now subscribe by email to this blog? Just enter your email address in the subscribe box in the right hand column. That way you get all my recipes delivered to your inbox!
You know it’s fall when squash starts showing up everywhere! I adore all varities and I’m excited to cook with the butternut squash I grew in my garden. However, my favorite variety of squash is delicata. Delicata has very thin, edible skin that will crisp in the oven. For this reason it does not store as well as butternut or acorn, so you need to use it quickly.
This recipe is a fall favorite. It combines creamy squash with spicy chicken sausage. Watch out because you will keep eating this until it hurts! The stuffing is really simple, just some veggies, sausage, breadcrumbs and parmesan.
Now, I differ from most people in my squash stuffing philosophy. Most like just but the stuffing in the cavity of hte squash, leaving the flesh intact. I, however, like to scoop out the flesh and mix it with the stuffing before putting it all back in. I am a huge proponent of this method. It does add an extra step but the difference in taste is huge.
Anyway, this recipe is crazy delicious and simple. It works nicely with some leafy green salad and crusty bread. Next time you see delicata at the store (or farmer’s market) pick some up and give it a try. You will not be dissapointed.
- 2 large delicata squash, halved and seeded
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 2 stalks of celery, finely diced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lb of chicken sausage, casings removed
- ½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400
- Halve squash and remove seeds and membrane. Brush with 2 tsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Place sqush face down on a cookie sheet and roast until soft, approx 20-30 minutes depending on size
- Saute onion, garlic, carrot and celery in 1 tbsp olive oil until softened, 4-5 minutes
- Add sausage and brown, breaking up into small chunks as it cooks
- Once sausage is cooked through, remove from heat and place sausage/veggie mixture into a large glass mixing bowl
- Add breadcrumbs, cheese and parsley
- When sqush is roasted, remove from heat and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes
- Using a spoon, carefuly scoop out squash flesh and add it to the bown of sausage mixture
- Mix thorougly to combine all stuffing ingredients
- Carefully scoop stuffing mixture into the squash skins
- Return to the oven and roast for an additional 15 minutes, until stuffing is browned on top