Sometimes you just want to eat something super healthy and good for you. This is a rare impulse for me, so I like to indulge it when it comes along. After a stressful work day, I decided to come home and do some yoga to relax and stretch. When I was finished I realized that I have a pretty empty fridge and I forgot to defrost something this morning for dinner. So I decided to get creative and this tasty stir fry was born.
Turns out I had a whole ton of Brussels sprouts in the crisper so I decided to stir fry them in my cast iron skillet. I added some garlic, a stray leek, lemon juice and some rosemary. I initially planned on stir frying this with brown rice, but I grabbed the bulgur instead and thought the light, nutty taste would be the perfect match for these crispy sprouts. I added some almonds for crunch and protein and found myself completely and totally in love with this dish.
Brussels sprouts are a hearty veggie and they anchor this dish really nicely. The bulgur and almonds add protein and fiber while allowing the fresh veggies to shine. I am already envisioning all sorts of variations on this dish and other possible add ins. It’s super versatile, I think I’d love it as a side dish with a nice piece of salmon, or as a complete meal as I enjoyed it tonight. Additionally, it’s super filling and yet low in calories, with only 221 per serving!
- 1lb fresh brussels sprouts, washed
- 1 medium leek, washed and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup bulgur
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, washed and chopped
- ½ cup slivered or sliced almonds
- Cook bulgur according to package directions
- Trim ends of Brussels sprouts and then slice thinly. I halve them first to make them easier to slice. You could also shred these in a food processor.
- In a cast iron skillet, wok or large frying pan, saute garlic and leek in olive oil on medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until softened
- Add slices sprouts and stir fry on medium heat, approximately 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add almonds, bulgur, lemon juice, vinegar and rosemary
- Stir fry the entire mixture on medium heat for another 3-4 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper and serve warm