Green Beans with Harissa and Almonds

The countdown to Thanksgiving continues! Today I am featuring one of my favorite new recipes. I found this tasty recipe via Bon Appetit and made some small modifications for time and logistical concerns.

Green bean casserole is a Thanksgiving staple. Unfortunately, it’s dense, calorie-laden and not particularly flavorful. I’ve done some lightened up versions, but this dish generally overwhelms crispy fresh green beans, which sort of defeats the point. So instead I’ve been playing around with some lighter possibilities for green beans.

I’ve only had harissa a few times but I love it. Harissa is a North African condiment that is a combination of chilies, red pepper, garlic, cumin, lemon and olive oil. The preparation varies across the region. Tunisa is the biggest exporter of premade harissa, which you can find canned or jarred in the speciality section of the grocery store.

The original recipe called for homemade harissa, but I didnt’ think this was practical for a Thanksgiving feast. My holiday philosophy is to make as much ahead as I can and keep everything as simple as possible. So, I hit up Whole Foods and found this fabulous harissa spread. While cooking I had some on baguette, and it was fabulous.

So this recipe is easy. I roasted the green beans in the oven because it’s hands off and easy. They stay crispy while cooking through, unlike boiling. Then just toss with some harissa paste and almonds and serve. The result is a complex flavor that compliments, not overwhelms the healthy vegetables.

Need some other green bean ideas? Here are some of my favorites:

Roasted Green Beans with Fennel

Mustard Green Beans

What are your favorite Thanksgiving veggies?

Green Beans with Harissa and Almonds

Ingredients
  • #ingredient#

Instructions
  1. #instruction#

Recipe Type: Veggies
Author: Dara
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 4-6
Ingredients
  • 1lb green beans, washed and trimmed
  • olive oil cooking spray
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 tbsp prepared Harissa
  • 2-3 tbsp slivered almonds
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 425
  2. In a roasting pan, spray beans with olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper
  3. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until crispy and cooked through
  4. Toss with harissa and almonds until coated
  5. Serve warm

, ,

11 Responses to Green Beans with Harissa and Almonds

1. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb November 15, 2012 at 10:53 am #

Harissa and green beans sounds like a perfect marriage of the ingredients. I need to find some Harissa here. Thanks for sharing this!

2. Liz November 15, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

Mmmmm…what a yummy Thanksgiving side dish! A great way to jazz up ordinary green beans for the holiday!

3. cquek November 16, 2012 at 6:45 am #

Holy cow! I’ll have to try it. They look delish.

4. CJ at Food Stories November 16, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

What a great spin on a Thanksgiving classic :-)

5. Colleen @ Culinary Colleen November 16, 2012 at 8:50 pm #

I never really know what to do with green beans. Love this idea!

6. Suzi November 16, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

This looks fantastic, I love harrisa and green beans. The best alternative to the traditional green bean casserole, which I don’t eat. I am making this, and probably tomorrow, LOL. Thanks Dara and Happy Holidays to you

7. mjskit November 17, 2012 at 6:19 pm #

What a great recipe!!! I love this as an alternative to the dreaded green bean casserole! I just some harissa and was thinking about a green dish for Thanksgiving, so this is perfect! Thanks!!!!!

8. lisaiscooking November 18, 2012 at 1:21 am #

I love this idea for green beans! It sounds so much more exciting than casserole. One of my other favorite Thanksgiving vegetables is Brussels sprouts. They’re always on the menu.

9. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies November 19, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

I have a big jar of harissa and I never know what to do with it other than adding it to ketchup. I’m going to try this!

10. CCU November 22, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

I love these beans they look like a perfect side :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

11. Kim Bee November 24, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

Dara this is an amazing recipe. Just love the kick of this one.

Not sure if it’s just my pc but your print recipe thing looks off. Might just be my screen though.