Guest Post: Black Forest Bites by Cravings of a Lunatic

Black Forest Bites by Cravings of a Lunatic 3

Hello readers! Today I have a special treat for you. A guest post by the lovely and talented Kim from Cravings of a Lunatic. Kim, or Lunie as she calls herself, is one of the most fun and talented food bloggers I have had the privilege of getting to know. She is hilarious, cooks amazing food and shares amazing stories about her life and cooking. Kim and I started blogging at around the same time and I we connected through FoodBuzz (RIP). She started blogging as many do, after getting tons of recipe requests from friends and family. I was immediately struck by her fresh, funny voice and hilarious worldview. Her vivid writing always makes me laugh and sometimes makes me cry. It’s fitting that she cites the writing aspect as her favorite part of blogging. She has such an engaging way of discussing food, cooking, eating and her adventures. I even recently found out that Craig’s mom likes her blog too. Which means that she truly has something for everyone.

I wanted her to guest post for me here for a number of reasons but mainly because she makes the most incredible, sinful and indulgent recipes. Somedays I hit up her site in the afternoon if I need a sugar fix. She is the culinary genius who invented Trix Krispies, which was probably the awesomest recipe of 2012. The woman made rice krispie treats with Trix. The neon colored, super sweet and sugary kids cereal. Need I say more?

Oh ok, I will. I also love Kim for her unabashed Turtle obsession. Case in point: Turtle Popcorn, Turtle Ice Cream and even Turtle Apples! Besides the incredible sweets and treats, Kim can do healthy too. Check out her recent Cauliflower Pizza Crust and Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad. But when it comes down to it, she’s really a meat kind of girl. In her words, “get between me and my grill and there’s trouble.” As you can see, she is super talented!

I asked her to guest post because I wanted to highlight this funny and talented blogger and give her a chance to share her foodie perspective with you all. We are different in so many ways, but Kim is a lovely friend and supportive blog mentor. She gave me a ton of good advice when I was switching over to WordPress and encourages me when I start to feel some blogging malaise.

So. If you haven’t done so already, hit up her website, Cravings of a Lunatic. Read all her recipes, leave comments and print them for future use. Then make sure to follow her on FacebookTwitterGoogle +,  and Pinterest so you can keep up with all her shenanigans.

*****************************************

Hello Generation Y Foodie readers. I’m Kim, the nutball behind the indulgent blog Cravings of a Lunatic. I am so thrilled to be here with you today. When Dara asked me to pop by for the day I was beyond excited. Then I started to panic a little big. You see Dara eats like a grown up. I do not eat like a grown up. I eat like an 8 year old kid, on holiday, with no parents, in a land with no vegetables or whole grains. It’s horrible. I’d feel bad but I’m too busy shoving Black Forest Bites into my piehole right now in rapid succession.

I was going to make a salad and be all responsible and adult-like. I planned to make this really cool peach salad that would have blown your minds. Then I got wandering around the interwebs and stumbled upon these amazing little bites on the Kraft Canada site. Theirs are actually diabetic friendly. I’m thinking mine are probably not, so if you are watching your sugar head over to the original recipe and follow that. If you’re a total sugar whore like I am then read on and prepare to be dazzled by the easiest dessert you will ever lay eyes on. I hesitate to even call it a recipe. But since this is a food blog I will in fact give you a recipe. I swear people, you sure can be high maintenance some days. Now get your grub bag on and have at these little beauties.

Black Forest Bites by Cravings of a Lunatic 1

Black Forest Bites

Author:
Recipe type: Dessert

Ingredients
  • 12 cherries plucked out of cherry pie filling, plus 12 tablespoons for the cherry filling
  • 12 Peek Freans Lifestyle Selections Dark Chocolate with a hint of cherry Cookies (or any flat, chocolate wafter type cookie)
  • 6 tablespoons of Chocolate Cream Cheese
  • 1 cup Cool Whip
  • Optional Garnish: Semi-sweet chocolate, shaved

Instructions
  1. Take a cookie and spread a little cream cheese over it
  2. Layer 1 tbsp of cherry filling over it
  3. Pipe some whipped cream over the top
  4. Top with a cherry
  5. Optional: Garnish with shaved chocolate

Black Forest Bites by Cravings of a Lunatic 4

This recipe is only slightly adapted from the Kraft Kitchens site. I changed some very minor amounts of things then added in chocolate cream cheese. So the geniuses over there get full credit for inventing them. I’ll take full credit for adding more chocolate to the mix, it’s okay, you can call me a chocolate genius. I’m cool with that.

These are so flipping adorable I can barely stand it. So I think I’ll sit down while I inhale another batch. I just wish I had someone to share them with. I wonder if Dara’s future mother in law would like to share a batch with me. I might even let her have one or two since we’re sort of family now. I mean once you guest post for someone it means you can move in and eat all their food right. *waves like a crazy person at Dara’s MIL*

Thanks so much to Dara for letting me loose on you guys today. I adore this lady. She is just the sweetest gal around. I was so wired after a long week trying to get the new blog up to par, while trying to visit with my son who had come down from Calgary. I emailed Dara all spazzed out which is a regular thing with me. She calmed me down in 3 seconds flat with her kind words. Not many people can mellow me out when I get spun up. She’s like a lunatic whisperer or something.

Toodles and smoochies! xx

Black Forest Bites by Cravings of a Lunatic 2

Did you not hear me the first time? Head over to Cravings of a Lunatic and then follow her on FacebookTwitterGoogle +,  and Pinterest. Because I said so!

, ,

28 Responses to Guest Post: Black Forest Bites by Cravings of a Lunatic

1. john@kitchenriffs February 25, 2013 at 3:09 pm #

You know, I didn’t even know there was chocolate cream cheese! But since there is, what better way to put it to use than in these little delightful dollops of flavor? Such an easy recipe! And so much flavor! Another delightful Lunie Creation! Good guest post – thanks.

• Dara February 25, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

I didn’t know either. I had to email Kim to make sure it was a real thing. Now I’m determined to find some tonight.

• Kim Bee February 27, 2013 at 7:12 pm #

When I saw it in the store I about passed out. Then I bought a years worth. Which lasted like 3 days. Who knew.

2. Caroline February 25, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

I love black forest cake – these seem like a less labor intensive option. Thanks for sharing!

• Kim Bee February 27, 2013 at 7:12 pm #

They are so simple. Quick little bites of joy.

3. Kristina February 25, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

Haha I didn’t know about chocolate cream cheese either? That’s genius. So fun seeing Kim here today!! Her blog is ridiculous… SO yummy!

• Kim Bee February 27, 2013 at 7:13 pm #

Thanks Kristina. I swear I almost lost my mind when I saw the chocolate cream cheese. Saves me a step so I had to stock up.

4. Kim Bee February 25, 2013 at 4:40 pm #

Thanks so much Dara. I loved working with you and it was so much fun to do this. You are such a sweetheart and I appreciate all the nice things you said. These are so flipping good, I am so glad I made them. I think I’ll be making lots of these kinds of bites in the future. SO easy yet so yummy. That’s my kind of recipe.

5. DB-The Foodie Stuntman February 25, 2013 at 5:00 pm #

Kim never fails at making me laugh. She was successful at it again today. I didn’t realize you two knew each other, so I’m glad to see her here. Nice and easy dessert.

• Kim Bee February 27, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

Thanks DB. Me and Dara go back quite a bit. I met her through Ann who retired from Cooking Healthy For Me. Love this gal. She makes healthy food that makes me want to eat it so that’s saying something.

6. Sara February 25, 2013 at 5:11 pm #

Cherry pie filling is amazing. I could eat it on anything. These look fun and tasty.

• Kim Bee February 27, 2013 at 7:15 pm #

I honestly just eat it out of the can some days. It’s ridiculous how good it is. Thanks so much.

7. Jenn and Seth February 25, 2013 at 10:05 pm #

ummmm these are genius. pure genius. and now i have the urge to hunt down the ingredients and make these, and then eat them all myself :)

• Kim Bee February 27, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

I vote you do that asap. We won’t tell any one.

8. Medeja February 25, 2013 at 11:23 pm #

What a wonderful idea to make such delicious and such easy bites! And they look really cute!

• Kim Bee February 27, 2013 at 7:16 pm #

Thanks so much. They are super yummy and quick which I love.

9. Kristen February 26, 2013 at 1:37 am #

Kim is the personal favorite blogger of all the world. I love seeing her strut her sugary stuff all over the blog land. These cherry chocolate treats are fantastic; so simple and so delicious!

• Kim Bee February 27, 2013 at 7:17 pm #

Awe shucks Kristen. You are going to make me blush. And right back at ya. Here’s hoping someone stubs their toe or something so I can get a ticket to FBF.

10. Liz February 26, 2013 at 2:45 am #

The Lunatic is back at it with her amazing Black Forest creations! These bites look terrific…and so fun to find her guest posting on your blog!!!

• Kim Bee February 27, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

Thanks Liz. I saw these little cutie pies on Kraft and was like “game on”. Had to do them. I was trying not to eat too many before I hopped in the car for our road trip to Toronto.

11. mjskit February 26, 2013 at 4:37 am #

Kim, you can do some of the most insane and creative sweets and these are no exception! I could eat quite a few of these!

• Kim Bee February 27, 2013 at 7:18 pm #

Awe you are too sweet. Thank you.

12. Angie@Angie's Recipes February 26, 2013 at 12:36 pm #

These are too beautiful to eat!

• Kim Bee February 27, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

That is such a nice compliment. Thank you Angie.

13. Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies February 26, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

I skipped breakfast this morning–do you think it would be okay if I had about 10 of these instead? They look amazing!

• Kim Bee February 27, 2013 at 7:19 pm #

Totally. Or 20, they’re small.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Black Forest Bites | Cravings of a Lunatic - February 25, 2013

[...] you dig these little beauties make sure you head over to Generation Y Foodie today and check them out. The recipe is on her site and I encourage you all to make them and then send me bags of money as a [...]

2. Skillet Lasagna | Burning Down The Kitchen with Generation Y Foodie | Cravings of a Lunatic - March 13, 2013

[...] me last March and made a wonderful Chicken Caesar Pasta. Recently I guest posted for her and made Black Forest Bites. I adore Dara so any chance to work with her I’m going to jump at. She’s just that [...]