Anyway, did anyone else eat too much this weekend? I certainly did. So now it’s time for inter-holiday detox. Some healthy meals and lots of veggies before I start OD-ing on wine, chocolate and Christmas cookies in a few weeks.
I made this healthy vegan chili because it’s filling and super healthy. Packed with healthy fiber and filling protein, it’s a great way to enjoy a comforting winter meal without adding a ton of fat, calories and sodium. As far as my recipes go, this one is fairly mild in the heat department. You can spice it up by adding more chili powder or cayenne, or top it with your favorite hot sauce, as we did.
The recipe makes ample leftovers, which I’ve been bringing for lunch. A big 1 cup serving has only 183 calories, making it perfect for a healthy lunch or a hearty dinner. You can top this with some shredded cheese, diced avocado or serve with tortilla chips.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, washed and diced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 cups dried black beans, soaked
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2.5 cups tomato puree or crushed tomatoes
- 1lb sweet potatoes, washed and chopped into ½” chunks
- 1 cup dry bulgur
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp lime juice (1/2 lime)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- optional: ¼ fresh cilantro, washed and chopped (substitute 1 tbsp dried)
- In a small saucepan, add soaked beans and 3 cups of water. Simmer on med-low heat for 20 minutes while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large pot, brown onions, garlic and red pepper in olive oil on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes and broth. Cover and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until beans are softened
- Add sweet potatoes, bulgur, water, ½ of cilantro, spice and lime juice
- Simmer, covered on med-low heat for 20-25 minutes, until sweet potatoes are fork tender and beans are softened
- Garnish with the remaining cilantro and serve hot with tortilla chips
If you are using canned beans: substitute 1.5 cans, rinsed. Omit the 1 cup of water from the recipe and skip step #4. Add the beans along with the sweet potatoes and bulgur. Simmer for 20-25 minutes and serve!